Friday, November 9, 2007

I'm back....






Hi to everyone,

Dean and I had an absolute blast in Europe!!!! The time went past so quickly, but we saw and did so many wonderful things (it really was the trip of a lifetime).

The Trip in brief.... We were away for just over 4 weeks and visited London, Brussels, Brugge, Amsterdam, Paris, Lausanne (switzerland), Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, Venice, Florence and Rome.

The Highlights... We
- Took a spin on the huge London Eye (giant ferris wheel)
- Peeked at the Crown Jewels at the Tower of London
- Explored beautiful underated Belgium with my Relatives
- Visited Anne Frank's House and cruised the canals in Amsterdam
- Had dinner at the top of the Eiffel Tower, cruised the Seine and saw the show at the Moulin Rouge
- Got stuck in Paris due to a Public Transport Strike (shucks had to spend an extra night in Paris)
- Visited the Romantic Road in Germany where we visited the Fairytale castles (more on this a bit later)
- Saw the sights in quaint Salzburg (while singing songs from the Sound of Music)
- Explored the gorgeous Schunnbrunn Palace in Vienna (and ate way too much Apple Strudel)
- Venice (OMG) that city is soooooo beautiful... can't emphasise how much I loved Venice (especially from a Gondola)
- Watched gorgeous sunsets over the Tuscan hills from the Ponte Vecchio Bridge in Florence
- And explored the ancient ruins of Rome (that city has more history than any other place I know).

And those were just some of the highlights... I'm sure I have forgotten heaps more of them

The absolute biggest highlight took place when we took a day trip alond the "Romantic Road" in Bavaria Germany. We woke up that morning and it had started snowing!!!!!!! (now i'm from Melbourne and although it gets cold down here I've never seen snow). Dean said my eyes were so big and I was so excited.

Now they don't call it the Romantic Road for nothing... the scenery is stunning and especially covered with snow. Anyway were we visiting the Fairytale Castles of King Ludwig of Bavaria (he was declared crazy at the end of his life but not before he built a number of gorgeous castles- one of which (Neuschwanstein Disney modelled it's fairytale castle from).Anyway, we climbed the steep mountain, through the gorgeous snow covered forest to get to the Neuswanstein Fairytale castle (a 40min uphill walk) and did the tour of the castle.

On the way down, Dean started acting a bit strange and wating to admire the scenery a whole lot (not that I minded it was stunning). We moved over to the side of the road, he started telling me how much he loved me, tried to get down on one knee (in the snow) and proposed. I accepted and we both couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the day (even now I have to admit).

So now we are back... completely jetlagged and struggling to adapt ready for work on Monday.

I'll try and upload some piccys of the trip for those that are interested... gotta work on one of those photo hosting sites (but with over 1000+ photos it could take some time).

I loved my trip, but i'm also glad to be back (only so long you can live out of a backpack)

5 comments:

AngC said...

Hey there Kelly!

Congratulations to both you and Dean!! How exciting! Love the pics, you'll have heaps of photos to scrap now!

Angela

AngC said...

Congratulations Kelly!! How exciting for both you and Dean! The pics look great, you'll have heaps to scrap now for sure!!

Angela

scrapwitch said...

im so interested ..love to see your fabo sightseeing piccies

Kelly Slattery said...

I'm so excited for you Kell!!! Congratulations to you & Dean!!

phatassphairy said...

i missed ya hun ...and ya big romantics......good one ya hun ...keep them pics coming ...sounds wonderful but i almost need a holiday to recover from yours ...lol